Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What would you pay for a memory?

A 21 year old young man sells his beloved car to help his father's business. 26 years later, and a very successful businessman he decides to track down his original car.  Now, I know men have an emotional attachment to their cars, but I don't understand being willing to pay $250,000 to track down a car. Apparently, a replica wasn't even good enough - he had to have his exact car.

So, is this nostalgic or crazy?  I'm sure to this man the money was nothing compared to a special memory he had to his car. However - it's still a car.  An inanimate object. In today's economy and generation, doesn't this seem a little excessive.

What could you do with $250,000?
  • Obtain a Bachelor's degree and MBA at Harvard
  • 6 people can get nursing degrees
  • Provide food and shelter to homeless children
  • Provide free basic school supplies to Elementary schools
  • Provide occupational, speech or behavioral therapy to autistic children whose claims are denied by insurance companies
And the list goes on and on. 

I recognize the value of memories - but how much is too much?  I would love to have back some books that I've lent over the years and not gotten back, ones with notes from when I studied them in school.  There's a case somewhere with a bunch of collectable coins in them that I started collecting when I was about 10.

When I was growing up we would often go to the little A&W and get their taquitos.  It was a great memory for me of time with my family and of a fun treat.  A few years ago I found a little A&W shop and just had to pull in and get some taquitos.  They were no where near as good as I remember, and now the memory was a little bit tarnished.

What is something that you have lost that you would pay to retrieve? And when do you realize that some things are better left as a fond memory?

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I think there is a limit to how much I am willing to pay for a memory. Memories are what shape us and define our lives. Not all memories are great, but they all serve a purpose. Part of me wonders if we take back a memory, to have and to hold, are we placing less significance on the effects of that memory or are we corrupting/ alterning something within us or in our lives irrevocably. Then again I am not a guy and I think no car is worth $250, 000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps he gives much more than that already to others. Possibly someone who earns 100 times what I do feels it's ok to spend 100 times on a car more than I would. Probably it would make him feel a lot better if he just sent me the money... what was he thinking?!?!?
    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think, the person he gives the $250,000 to could go and get that education, make those donations, etc. It's trickle down memoromics.

    ReplyDelete