Friday, January 8, 2010

Chocolate Banana Waffles


My kids love frozen waffles for breakfast.  But, with the Waffle Shortage this year, I figured we may need to come up with a new alternative.

I made one batch of these, and it make apx 14 regular sized waffles.  My daughter rated the dinner with 10 A+'s, and they quickly gobbled them up.   I will be making them next with whole wheat flour, doubling (or more) the batch and freezing them.

They do come out kind of soft right out of the waffle maker, but can be taken out of the freezer and tossed into the toaster! 


1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa. Blend in milk, eggs and butter and bananas until mixture is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown or your waffle iron turns off.

I served with butter, powdered sugar, sliced strawberries, whipped cream and some chocolate chips.

*PS.  To my dear friend Jannet who can't eat chocolate.  I bet you could substitute the cocoa with white chocolate powder, carob powder, or whatever. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment