Remember that old nursery rhyme? The one we’ve all related to a time or two when we’ve looked blankly into our kitchen cupboard and fridge wondering what to put together for dinner? Well, I’ve dubbed those recipes that I come up with during those days “Mother Hubbard Recipes”. Fortunately for my family, they tend to fare better than the dog in the rhyme.
So, without further ado:
Mexican Shepherd's Pie
• 1lb Ground beef
• Taco Seasoning
• 1 can corn, drained
• 1 can kidney beans, drained
• 2 cheese packets from 2 boxes of mac n cheese
• 1 cup milk
• 1 package of Corn bread mix (I <3 Marie Callender’s brand)
• Pre-Heat oven to 350 (or as directed on corn bread package)
• Brown ground beef, drain, add seasoning and 1 cup water, simmer.
• In a separate bowl, mix cheese packets with 1 cup milk, whisk until creamy.
• Add cheese sauce, drained cans of corn and kidney beans and mix well on stove.
• While that simmers, combine corn bread mix as directed on package.
• Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray, then add the meat mixture. Spoon Corn Bread mix over meat and bake for 30-40 minutes or until corn bread is lightly brown on edges and cooked.
Yup, I put a nice sized dollop of sour cream on mine. SO very good! There are lots of different ways to vary this up depending on what mix ins you desire (or have in your cupboard). Enjoy!