Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pizza Pockets / Calzones

I was looking for a new lunch item for my kids, and made them some pocket pizzas.  Because, cold pizza is ALWAYS a good meal.  But, pizza is expensive!  And, I used this really cool pocket meal thing I just ordered from Avon as well. 

It was a HUGE hit with the kids, and I also made some for me for work.  I brought one in to my friend, and she claims the bread was so heavenly it has divine restorative powers.  Hmmmmm.

Dough
2 T yeast
2 T sugar
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 t salt
2 T italian seasoning (I love pampered chef's!)
2 T garlic powder
6 cups flour

Disolve yeast and sugar in warm water in mixing bowl.  Add seasonings, oil, salt and flour a cup or so at a time until dough is well blended.  Allow to rise until double, about 1 hour.

Filling
1 lb italian sausage
1 can spaghetti sauce
Mozerella cheese, shredded

Brown sausage, drain.  Add sauce to blend.

"Toppings" as desired
Endless ideas!  I even found some mini pepperoni!
I LOVE black olives and mushrooms
Best part - you can make each kid their own special blend.  YEAH!  Everyone gets the pizza they want.

Putting it together
Take balls of dough, depending on the size of calzone you would like to make.  Roll out to about 1/4" thick.  If you're going to use one of the pie molds (which the kids love) use the cutter side to cut the two pieces, then place one on the mold, fill will sauce mix, cheese and desired toppings.  Place the other piece of the dough over then seal closed.
Or, rolling into a circle, fill will sauce, cheese and toppings, fold over and seal.

Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Cool on cookie sheet, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment